Outrage over priest’s sex abuse of CAR children

Controversial church priest Luk Delft

Controversial church priest Luk Delft

from OMAN MBIKO in Bangui, Central African Republic
BANGUI, (CAJ News) THE non-governmental organisation that hired a Belgian priest convicted of sexually abusing children has apologised to the victims and their families in the Central African Republic (CAR).

Luk Delft, the priest, allegedly molested an unspecified number of children in the conflict-torn Central African country, where he was previously hired by Caritas as its local director.

Aloysius John, Secretary-General of Caritas International, said the organisation was saddened and outraged.

“We express our compassion and solidarity with the children and their families,” he said.

“We thank those who have come forward. They have our full support in telling their truth,” John added.

He said Caritas was constantly working to improve its safeguarding of children in CAR and the rest of the world where the organisation works to help people in need.

“Our first duty is to protect those we serve,” John assured.

He pledged that Caritas International was assisting its office in CAR as it investigated the allegations, strengthened its safeguarding mechanisms and offered care and support to any possible victims and their families.

Delft was hired despite a previous conviction for abusing children in Europe.

Caritas was removed him from the post after the latest allegations.

– CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=32364

Posted by on Nov 25 2019. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.