Zimbabwe farm grabbers back at their properties

Save Conservancy

Save Conservancy. File photo

from TINO PEPUKAI in Chiredzi, Zimbabwe
CHIREDZI, (CAJ News) SOME 25 government officials sacked from their farms southeast of Zimbabwe in 2007 have grabbed their properties back.

They had lost ownership of the farm under the administration of Robert Mugabe but are back in the properties as President Emerson Mnangagwa bows down to pressure from his colleagues in the ruling ZANU-PF party.

They had been booted out of the Save Valley conservancies, a key tourism destination in the Southern African country.

Mugabe had revoked the takeover of the sanctuary claiming that the property was protected by bilateral agreements.

The Mnangagwa administration has since given a green light for the beneficiaries to reclaim their lease agreements and subsequently being issued with hunting licences.

“We are not re-invading the sanctuary but we are just formalizing everything now under the new dispensation,” said former Masvingo provincial affairs minister, Josaya Hungwe

Prisca Mupfumira, Tourism and Hospitality minister, said that her ministry had appproved the beneficiaries to reclaim their lease agreements.

“The lease agreements were cancelled in 2007 but we have seen it fit for the beneficiaries to get back their plots and engage in wildlife projects. We cannot have a business or project in the country which is
reserved for one race. That is unacceptable,” Mupfumira said.

– CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=30847

Posted by on Jun 13 2019. Filed under Africa & World, Exclusive, Featured, Finance, Finance & Banking, Food & Drinks, HOSPITALITY, Investing, Investing, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.