Over 800 dead in DRC cholera outbreak

drc-choleraFrom JEAN KASSONGO in Kinshasa, DRC
KINSHASA, (CAJ News) – MORE than 800 people have been killed as a result of a cholera epidemic linked to escalating conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The deaths of the 882 victims have been recorded from over 44 000 outbreaks since the beginning of the year.
Authorities said while the cholera epidemic has been on a downward trend,
however, a relatively large increase in the number of cases has been observed in the Kasai and Lomani provinces.
The provinces of are the last to be affected by the epidemic and had not been affected by cholera epidemics in the last ten years.
“The arrival of cholera in the Kasai region was predictable because of the vulnerability of the five provinces of the region to diarrheal diseases,” said spokesperson of the Ministry of Public Health.
Violent conflicts that have led to numerous population movements and major damage to health facilities have exacerbated the vulnerabilities of communities to cholera.
Substantial financial support remains an urgent need to stem the spread of  the epidemic in the newly-affected regions.
Raging conflict is tearing DRC apart.
The refusal by President Joseph Kabila to cede power at the lapse of his term last year has heightened tensions.
Some 4 million people are displaced in the Central African country of over 78 million people.
CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=23812

Posted by on Nov 17 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.