ZEP application marred by chaos

ZSPBy GIFT NDOLWANE
JOHANNESBURG, (CAJ News) – THE process to apply for new permits by thousands of Zimbabweans in South Africa has gotten off to a frustrating start.
Some misinformed Zimbabweans have flocked the offices of the South African Department of Home Affairs and the VFS Global as the process to extend the permits of thousands of these nationals resumed on Friday.
Non-governmental organisations, themselves bearing the brunt of the recurrent cable theft recently, said they had also been inundated by some national eager to extend their permits but unfamiliar with the process.
Applications for the new Zimbabwean Exemption permit (ZEP) can be done online at the VFS offices ahead of the December 31 lapse of the Zimbabwean Special Dispensation permit (ZSP).
The Peace and Democracy Project (PDP) confirmed attending to some oblivious Zimbabweans that had swarmed the Home Affairs and VFS bases in Gauteng, a province the majority of the more than 200 000 current permit holders work, study and operate businesses.
“I urge people not to go to the offices as you will be chased away,” Gilbert Mabhena Moyo, Senior Co-ordinator at PDP said.
Meanwhile, Mabhena Moyo decried the internet connection challenges, which led to a failure to post applications.
He blamed last week’s cable theft in Johannesburg but assured authorities were resolving the issue.
“We hope to be in full swing by Monday,” Mabhena Moyo said.
After a slow start in the morning, with the online form still unavailable by 9am, it was accessible in the afternoon but glitches still experience dd at the time of publication.
VFS officials could not be reached for comment.
Cut-off date for submission of applications is November 30.
An administrative fee of R1 090 will be charged.
ZEP permits will be issued for a maximum period of four years, effective January 1, 2018.
The application process ends uncertainty among Zimbabweans after months of lack of clarity and a cabinet reshuffle that led to the appointment of Minister Hlengiwe Mkhize, in place of now-Finance Minister, Malusi Gigaba.
“I trust that the ZEP will go a long way in assisting the Zimbabweans to rebuild their lives as they prepare, at work, in business and in educational institutions, for their final return to their sovereign state
– Zimbabwe – in the near future, Mkhize said at the announcement of the new permits last week.
 CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=22579

Posted by on Sep 15 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Broadband, Featured, National, News, Regional, Technology. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry
  • Liz Harding

    I cannot believe that our government has given a tender
    that affects people’s livelihoods to an incompetent organisation like VFS Global. After registering and paying twice, once an amount of R1 350 and then another R1 090 because you can only claim the refund on the R1 350 by a supervisor at their offices and daily emails and telephone calls since September to their useless call centre I still haven’t managed to secure an appointment for my employee.

    How can BFS’ Global Chief Operations Officer for Africa, Jiten Vyas claim that “Our visa centres and staff are ready to handle the volume of applications and call centre queries, and that “We are making every effort to ensure a seamless application
    process that is an easy and effective experience” when
    there are already so many complaints on Hello Peter thanks to no effort from their side and ghastly experiences by the complainants.

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.