Doctors caught up in Sudanese civil war

doctors _mfsFrom RAJI BASHIR in Khartoum, Sudan,
KHARTOUM, (CAJ News) – VOLUNTEER medical doctors have withdrawn from the most volatile parts of war-torn South Sudan after insurgents attacked a clinic and left two health practitioners critically injured.Office equipment, phones and computers have been stolen after ten unidentified armed men broke into a clinic run by Doctors Without Borders in Pibor, east of the country.Other staff members were threatened with guns.This is the second attack on the facility in as many years.
Last year, armed militants looted the clinic.This event forced us to evacuate part of our team and reduce our activities at a time when people are in desperate need of healthcare,” said Fernando Galvan, deputy head of mission for Doctors Without Borders in South Sudan.The clinic in Pibor is a 37-bed medical facility where the doctors manage the outpatient department, the inpatient ward, the maternity ward and the laboratory.
On a monthly basis, 6 300 outpatient consultations are conducted. Galvan said patients needed to feel safe when they came to the clinic.“They should never have to worry about violent attacks happening within a medical facility. Hospitals must be safe places for patients and for medical workers providing them with healthcare.”The East African, the youngest in the world after attaining independence in 2011, is enduring civil war after a fallout between government leaders.
–CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=21245

Posted by on Jul 17 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Poll

Who do you want to lead South Africa ?

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.