52 feared dead in Sahara en-route to Europe

mediterianFrom EMEKA OKONKWO in Abuja, Nigeria
ABUJA, (CAJ News) – MORE than 50 migrants are presumed dead and over 20 have been rescued in the scorching Sahara Desert on an abortive trip to Europe.
The migrants, mostly from Gambia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Senegal were reportedly abandoned by smugglers in Niger on the way to Libya, where migrants connect to Europe by boat.
The International Office of Migration (IOM) said 24 migrants alerted authorities in Niger they had been stranded in the desert. They were taken to Seguedine, where one died on arrival.
Authorities’ search for the other 51 who had been in the group had been fruitless due to a sand storm.
They have not been located and thus presumed dead.
Giuseppe Loprete, IOM Niger Chief of Mission, said they were enhancing their capacity to assist the vulnerable migrants.
“Saving lives in the desert is becoming more urgent than ever. Since the beginning of the year we have been receiving frequent calls to rescue victims who embark on this route‎,” Loprete added.
The United Nations agency said more than 600 lives had been saved since April through a new search and rescue operation.
CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=20783

Posted by on Jun 28 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Poll

Who do you want to lead South Africa ?

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.