Probe into Congolese conflict reprieve for victims

Congolese ProbeFrom JEAN KASSONGO in Kinshasa, DRC
 KINSHASA, (CAJ News) – THE deployment of international experts to probe human rights violations in the central Kasai region of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has been hailed as a step toward justice for thousands of victims affected by the violence.
Rights groups said it brought hope of uncovering the truth behind the conflict that has killed more than 3 300 civilians and displaced over 1,3 million people.
More than 600 schools have been attacked or destroyed and two UN experts previously investigating human rights abuses in the region were murdered in March.
The UN Human Rights Council on Friday adopted by consensus a resolution directing the high commissioner for human rights to send another team of expert.
The Congolese government of President Joseph Kabila has agreed to cooperate, including by facilitating access.
“The UN, the Human Rights Council, and above all the Congolese authorities now need to ensure unhindered access and all the support the team needs to independently produce a robust and credible report,” said Laila Matar, UN advocate at Human Rights Watch.
The high commissioner is to update the Human Rights Council in March 2018 with the team’s participation and will submit a final report with the team’s findings next June.
The large-scale violence broke out in the central Kasai region in August 2016 when government forces killed tribal leader, Kamuina Nsapu, triggering an extremist response from his followers.
The militia has further been enraged by Kabila clinging to power at the elapse of his mandate late last year.

CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=20753

Posted by on Jun 27 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Poll

Who do you want to lead South Africa ?

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.