Thousands flee CAR clashes to DRC

CAR Thousands fleeFrom JEAN KASSONGO in Kinshasa, DRC
KINSHASA, (CAJ News) – SOME 88 000 people have fled their homes in May during the escalating strife in the Central African Republic (CAR).
Since fighting flared in May between rebels more than 68 000 people have fled their homes within CAR, while nearly 20 000 have sought refuge in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Significant rebel activity on towns along the DRC border as well as rumours of possible attacks are pushing people to flee in the Haute Kotto and Mbomou prefectures inside CAR.
Over the last weeks, attacks of armed groups resulted in displacement within the Bria, Bangassou and Basse-Kotto prefectures.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees spokesperson, Babar Baloch, said in addition, hundreds of civilians had been reportedly killed.
Most of the displaced sleep in the open or in makeshift shelters.
The recent upsurge in violence is also pushing people to cross the border into the DRC’s Bas Uele and Ubangi provinces.  DRC has its own refugee crisis to deal with following clashes between militants and the army.
“People there arrived (DRC) with hardly any belongings and some were wounded and require treatment,” said Baloch.
Baloch called for urgent support to UNHCR’s funding appeal of US$209 (R272,4 million) million for the CAR situation, which is only 6 percent funded.
CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=20170

Posted by on May 31 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Poll

Who do you want to lead South Africa ?

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.