Hundreds at risk in Somali cholera surge

Somali cholera surgeFrom SAAD MUSE in Mogadishu, Somalia
MOGADISHU, (CAJ News) – THE death toll from this year’s outbreak of cholera in Somalia is expected to double from 618 in the coming weeks.
This coincides with the onset of the rainy season.
The East African country, which has reported 32 000 cases of the water-borne disease, is emerging from severe drought.
“The drought had led to a lack of clean water and the largest cholera outbreak in Somalia in the past five years,” Tarik Jasarevic, spokesman for the World Health Organisation, said.
Lack of access to clean water and hygiene, food insecurity and malnutrition caused by drought are worsening the figures.
“There may be more than 50 000 cases of cholera in 2017 in Somalia. Those numbers are expected to double at the end of next month, as the overall numbers jump due to the start this week of the rainy season,” Jasarevic said.
In addition to cholera, Somalis are faced with the threat of measles as a result of a low vaccination rate and massive displacement and crowding as a result of the drought.
A campaign had been planned to vaccinate 50 000 children between the ages of six months and five years of age, but the required US$2,7 million (R36,5 million) have not yet been met.
CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=19705

Posted by on May 9 2017. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Poll

Who do you want to lead South Africa ?

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.