Lagos Marathon attracts 10 000 athletes
from OKORO CHINEDU in Lagos, Nigeria
LAGOS – A TOTAL of 10 000 athletes from 27 countries are set to take part in the second Access Bank Lagos Marathon on Saturday.
A majority of them Nigerians, they will participate at the event scheduled to start from the National Stadium in Surulere and terminate at Eko Atlantic City in Victoria Island.
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode said adequate preparations had been put in place to ensure a successful event.
“We want to show the world that Lagos can be and Lagos can do what it is expected of it as a mega city,” said Ambode on Friday.
He said the event would enable showcase the tourism potential of Lagos.
“We want to show to the world that Lagos is safe; we want to show to the world that Lagos can be the choice destination for sports, tourism and entertainment and that is why we are doing this.”
President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria, Solomon Ogba, said the Lagos Marathon was designed to be among the top ten marathons in the world.
Head of the Organizing Committee of the marathon, and Executive Director of Access Bank, Victor Otoko, said the marathon would improve on the success of the first edition last year.
“Necessary preparations heve been perfected to make this year’s edition hugely successful,” said Otoko.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=18111