Scores perish at Nigeria horror prison

barackOKORO CHINEDU
LAGOS, (CAJ News) – RIGHTS groups have demanded the closure of an infamous detention centre in northeast Nigeria where over 1 000 civilians, including infants and babies, are held without charge on suspicion of belonging to the Boko Haram.

Calls to close the Giwa barracks detention centre comes amid reports torture at the hands of soldiers and disease have claimed the lives of 12 minors and 150 adults in recent months.

Human rights violations are rife at the centre located in Maiduguri, the epicenter of the terrorism ravaging Africa’s most poplous country of 144 million people.

Children under five years of age were said to be detained in three women’s cells. Babies are also being born in detention.

“These children are the forgotten victims of Nigeria’s fight against Boko Haram,” said Aster Van Kregten, Amnesty International’s senior research
advisor for Nigeria.

Kregten appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to keep a pledge made before his election last year to probe the human rights violations at Giwa.

Government claims Giwa houses Boko Haram suspects in transit to more established detention centres. Rights groups have dismissed the claim.
CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=16030

Posted by on Oct 20 2016. Filed under Africa & World, National, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Poll

Who do you want to lead South Africa ?

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.