BREAKING : Kidnapped Nigerian girls released, 2 years laterFrom EMEKA OKONKWO in Abuja, Nigeria
ABUJA, (CAJ News) – THE Nigerian government has announced the release of 21 of the mokre than 200 schoolgirls the Boko Haram terror group kidnapped in Chibok in the northeast of the country in 2014.
The release of the girls, who had not been named at the time of going to press is the outcome of negotiations between the administration and the Boko Haram brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government.
“The negotiations will continue,” Garba Sheu, the spokesperson of President Muhammadu Buhari, said yesterday (Thursday).
She said the unnamed girls have been released and are in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).
DSS Director-General, Malam Daura, had briefed Buhari on the state of the girls’ minds.
They were said to be “very tired.”
“Dawura wants the girls to rest before he hands them over to the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo.”
Buhari was due to embark on a trip to Germany but while he welcomed the release of the girls, but cautioned Nigerians to be mindful of the fact that more than 30 000 fellow citizens were killed via terrorism.
It was reported the girls had been released in return for four Boko Haram prisoners.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=15894