Hundreds dead in Darfur chemical warfare
From RAJI BASHIR in Khartoum, Sudan
KHARTOUM, (CAJ News) – MORE than 200 civilians have reportedly been killed following repeated the use of chemical weapons by government against civilians in remote parts of the strife-torn Darfur of Sudan.
Children have mostly been killed in the crisis that is said to be most pronounced in Jebel Marra.
Amnesty International said it had gathered evidence based on testimony from caregivers and survivors.
It is suspected 30 suspected chemical attacks have taken place so far this year, the most recent being on September 9.
Victims are said to suffer symptoms as vomiting and diarrhea, blisters, eye problems and respiratory problems, which reportedly the most common cause of death.
It is reported the vast majority of survivors of the suspected chemical weapons attacks have visited no formal medical clinics and had no access to adequate medical care.
The war in Darfur started in 2003 when rebel groups fought government accusing it of oppressing the non-Arab population.
Government has been accused for responding with an alleged campaign of ethnic cleansing.
Some 300 000 people have been killed and over 3 million displaced.
Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir is wanted at the International Criminal Court to answer to charges of crimes against humanity.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=15600