New twist to MTN Nigeria saga as officials summoned


ABUJA, (CAJ News) – THE Nigerian Senate has directed its committee on communications to invite all relevant stakeholders to explain the
reduction of the fine imposed on MTN for failing to deactivate 5,2 million unregistered subscribers on its network.

The record fine, imposed late last year, was reduced from N1,04 trillion to N780 billion.

Among those summoned to appear include the country’s minister of justice and attorney general of the Federation, minister of communication
technology, executive vice chairman of Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Accountant General of the Federation, Governor of Central Bank of
Nigeria, Managing Director of MTN Nigeria and all other parties involved in the MTN negotiations.

The development follows a motion of urgent public important raise by Senator Gilbert Nnaji representing Enugu East at the Senate.

Nnaji relied on order 42 and 52 said the fine was unilaterally reduced to N780 billion by Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation
without inputs of the ministry communication technology and the NCC.

“This constitutes a flagrant breach of the regulation and an attempt to whittle down the authority of the commission,” Nnaji said.

He noted the ministry communication technology and NCC was excluded throughout the negotiation process which was championed by the Ministry of
Justice and Attorney General of the Federation.

Senators have unanimously supported the call to summon the government officials and MTN executives.

Last week, MTN announced it had reached an agreement with government to pay the reduced fine over three years.

– CAJ News

Short URL:

Posted by on Jun 24 2016. Filed under Broadband, Finance, Mobile & Telecoms, National, Regional, Technology. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.