Joint AU forces kill Al-Shabaab’s commander
from MARIA MACHARIA in Nairobi, Kenya
Kenya Bureau Chief
NAIROBI, (CAJ News) – JOINT military operation by the Africa Union peacekeeping mission (AMISOM) and Somalia National Army (SNA) resulted in the death of Al-Shabaab’s senior commander, officials told CAJ News Africa.
The AU Brigadier General of the AMISOM’s Sector One, Sam Okiding confirmed on Saturday the military operation resulted in the death of the Al-Shabaab commander for the Janaale Abdirashir Buqdube region while 22 other terrorists were also killed in action.
He said the joint military operation unleashed both air strikes and ground forces against the Al-Shabaab sponsored insurgents’ hideout near Buufow.
“Al-Shabaab cannot hide and we shall continue to work hard to deny them safe haven until the people have been liberated from Al-Shabaab terror. AMISOM and SNA forces shall continue clearing these roads as we have so far completed two major roads: one from Beldamin to Qoryooley and another from Beldamin to Shalamboti.
“We are now clearing the one from Buufow to Janaale where Al-Shabaab have been trying to put up resistance,” Okiding said.
He said while several terrorists escaped the battle scene, Okiding said dozens of the Al-Shabaab terror group were massacred in the Friday battle raising hope the AMISOM and SNA joint military operations were to restore order in this horn of African nation.
The insurgents were fighting to derail installation of new boreholes, repairing of water equipment to the civilians as well as blocking upgrading of the roads for free movement.
In a statement to CAJ News East Africa Bureau, Okiding, said the joint forces would no leave no stone unturned in their quest to clean up Al-Shabaab terrorists in the Janaale region with the sole purpose to restore stability, peace and order.
The killing of the Al-Shabaab commander barely hours another operation claimed another senior Al-Shabaab commander identified as Hassan Ali Dhoore, who was killed in who was in charge of the terror group’s security and intelligence.
In a similar development, the U.S. Pentagon also announced their airstrike against Dhoore, the strikes led by the Pentagon.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=12420