MTN denies settlement over landmark Nigeria fine

MTN Group President and CEO, Sifiso Dabengwa

MTN Group President and CEO, Sifiso Dabengwa

JOHANNESBURG, (CAJ News) – PAN Africa’s leading mobile, MTN has denied reports it had reached an agreement with the Nigerian Communications Commission regarding the US$5,2 billion fined slammed on its Nigerian entity.

MTN Group Spokesman, Chris Maroleng, however said the company continues to engage constructively with Nigerian authorities at all levels.

“However, the company has noted, with concern, the speculation and false information in the media,” MTN said late Tuesday.

MTN thus cautioned against reports purporting the company had agreed a resolution with the NCC on the fine.

“It is false as no resolution has yet been reached. MTN continues to engage the authorities in Nigeria on this matter.”

“To this end, all stakeholders have been reminded that MTN will inform them of any material developments in its engagements with Nigerian authorities via the Stock Exchange News Service of the JSE Limited (SENS),” MTN said.

Shareholders have also been asked to exercise caution when reacting to information that had not been released by the company.

The landmark fine slapped on MTN Nigeria last week follows its failure to cut services to more than 5 million unregistered clients.

MTN Nigeria is the biggest operator in the country with more than 62 million subscribers.

– CAJ News





Short URL:

Posted by on Nov 3 2015. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, Finance, Finance & Banking, Mobile & Telecoms, News, Technology. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.