Kidnap survivor recounts misery under Boko Haram captivity
About 60 victims have been rescued in the Borno State as reported on Thursday.
Speaking to reporters, one of those rescued, Mallam Modu Goni, said terrorists abducted him at his farm and brutalized him several times before the intervention of the military.
“The terrorists came in large number to abduct us while farming in our village last week,” Goni said.”They used cloth to tie my hands to the back.
I stayed for several days without food before the army rescued us yesterday (Thursday),” Goni said.He is one of thousands the Boko Haram sect has abducted during its reign of terror in the Northeast, most infamously the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State.
Efforts to rescue them have failed more than a year since their abduction.On Thursday, the Army said it had rescued 59 abducted persons after a successful anti terrorists operation in Konduga Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno State. Deputy Director, Army Public Relations 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Col. Tukur Gusau, disclosed the breakthrough in Maiduguri.
He said troops of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army conducted an offensive operation in Konduga after they identified two suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ camps in a place called Kashimbiri and Warmure.The rescued 59 civilians were made up of 25 children, 29 women and five elderly men, Gusau said.
The spokesman also revealed that dozens of suspected Boko Haram terrorists were killed during the operation. “We also recovered a Land Rover Jeep and a tipper lorry used by the terrorists for their nefarious activities,” he said.
Gusau said the military had shut down the camps.He added that there was no casualty on the military or any of their equipment. He said that the rescued persons would be handed over to the Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) for rehabilitation.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=7116