Buhari’s delay in Cabinet appointments worry Nigerians: PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari

from AUGUSTINE OSAYANDE in Abuja, Nigeria
ABUJA, (CAJ News) – THERE is grave for concern over Nigeria’s new President Muhammadu Buhari’s delay in appointing his cabinet.

Buhari was sworn in as the country’s democratic president on 29th May, but up to now, he is yet to announce his cabinet, a move widely believed is derailing the country’s progress.

Already the country’s main opposition of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed doubt in President Muhammadu Buhari and the All Progressives Congress implementing promises made during the campaign period.

PDP National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh, said his party was “deeply worried” that the President, who promised to unveil his cabinet two weeks after his inauguration, had not been able to decide on key appointments such as Ministers, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), a Chief of Staff and advisers in key sectors of the economy.

“This is more so as the delay has brought government business in ministries, departments and agencies to a dangerous standstill with coordination of important policies vested on ministers and the SGF now in tatters while the system drifts,” Metuh said.

“This situation also creates loopholes through which overzealous persons around that President can connive with unscrupulous elements in the bureaucracy to syphon public resources in addition to possibly misleading the President to violate due process by spending beyond and outside his statutory limits,” he added.

Metuh said the situation was taking its toll on the economy sector, which has in the 30 days witnessed unprecedented decline with a “terrifying crippling” of foreign and domestic investments including activities in the money and capital market sectors.

He said under President Buhari, the stock market has lost over N238 billion while the All-Share Index fell by 849,87 basis points as at June 19.

Metuh said in security, apart from the directive to relocate the counter terrorism command centre to Borno state and seeking assistance from foreigners, no other concrete step had been taken in the fight against insurgency which the President was quoted in an interview as saying he would end within his two months in office.

“Instead, the anti-terrorism effort has completely lost steam in the last 30 days, with insurgents, who had already been pushed to the verge of surrender in the Sambisa forest by the Goodluck Jonathan administration, now surging back and spreading into the country,” Metuh said.

– CAJ News



Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=6512

Posted by on Jun 29 2015. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.