Enang wants South African monarch tried for xenophobia
from AUGUSTINE OSAYANDE in Abuja, Nigeria
ABUJA, (CAJ News) – NIGERIAN senator representing Uyo District, Ita Solomon Enang, has asked the Federal Government to file a case against the South African king whose utterances are said to have sparked deadly attacks on foreign nationals in that country.
Speaking at the plenary on Wednesday, Enang, said the matter should be taken as far as international courts.
“The matter should be taken to African parliament. The Zulu King should be tried in the International Court of Justics (ICC),” Enang said.
His sentiments follow utterances attributed to King Goodwill Zwelithini, the monarch of the country’s most populous tribe, that foreigners must go back “home.”
The king says media misrepresented his statement.
Enang differed, saying the statement attributed the King precipitated the recent xenophobic attacks.
At least seven people have been killed.
While no Nigerian national had been killed it emerged on Wednesday no fewer than 50 had been rendered homeless after being displaced by these attacks.
About 300 others have been displaced near Johannesburg.
He alleged that recent happenings suggested a conspiracy by South Africa to bring down Nigeria.
South Africa was until last year the continent’s biggest economy. Nigeria overtook it.
Enang suggested Nigeria government should start immediate review of its relationship with South Africa.
He noted that several South Africa companies were operating in Nigeria.
“But no single Nigeria company is in South Africa,” he said.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=5491