Expert assesses readiness of Kenya digital switch-overfrom MARIA MACHARIA in Nairobi, Kenya
NAIROBI, (CAJ News) – A Kenya television executive expressed mixed feelings over the country’s preparedness to switchover to digital broadcasting.
Roger Gichuhi, Chief Operations Officer of Buni TV, noted the legal suits initiated by some media owners ahead of the deadline scheduled for the middle of the year.
“The Communications Authority is pushing for the switch to happen by the world deadline of June 17,” said Gichuhi.
His sentiments came amid reports It is alleged that the two broadcasters – K24 and national broadcaster, KBC – moved back to their analogue signals due to low uptake of set top boxes by viewers.
It has also been reported the second phase of Digital Migration, meant to cover Mombasa Malindi, Nyeri, Meru, Kisumu, Webuye, Kakamega, Kisii, Nakuru, Eldoret, Nyahururu, Nyadundi, Machakos, Narok, Londiani and Rongai, earlier this month failed to take place.
“What will happen when the switch finally happens is unclear, but we’re hoping that it will lead to a surge in local content. Also, most of the set top box players are having internet service pre-packaged, and this is positive news as more households will have unlimited internet and can consume more content from Buni.tv,” Gichuhi said in an interview ahead of the East Africa Com.
The event, arguably of the biggest information and communications technology summit in the region, is scheduled for Safari Park hotel in Nairobi on May 6-7.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=4097