Sport latest to bear brunt of Boko Haram terror
JOHANNESBURG, (CAJ News) – SOUTH African football authorities have assured
the country’s junior team currently in Niger was safe despite the escalating terror threat posed by the Islamic militant Boko Haram group.
Nigeria’s neighbor has declared a 15-day State of Emergency following a deadly onslaught by the sect.
The South African Men’s Under 17 national team, is in the West African nation to play in the 11th Edition of the CAF U17 African Youth Championships, which kicks off on Sunday, 15 February.
The South Africans are based in the capital Niamey, about 1 400km away from the restive border with Nigeria where Boko Haram are staging a war against the government.
The South African Football Association nonetheless assured of the youngsters’ safety.
“We have been in constant contact with our team in Niger and so far all is well. We would like to assure all parents and family members of Amajimbos that they have nothing to worry about as the situation in the capital Niamey is under control,” said SAFA Chief Executive Officer, Dennis Mumble.
“We have checked with our foreign mission and have confirmed that fighting is only on the far East of the country, which is very far from where team is based and where the tournament will be played.
“All the teams in the tournament are well guarded and there is nothing to worry about.”
He said as the standard norm with international major events, Confederation of African Football and the Niger have put in place adequate measures to ensure that the safety and security of teams, officials, spectators, media and all others participating in the African Youth Championships.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=4086