Cash-strained Kenya out of SA rugby tourney

Kenya rugby forward, Collins Injera

Kenya rugby forward, Collins Injera

from MARIA MACHARIA in Nairobi, Kenya
NAIROBI, (CAJ News) – KENYA has pulled out of the Vodacom Cup rugby tournaments, scheduled for South Africa, because of financial challenges.

Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) Secretary, Eddie Omondi, confirmed the withdrawal.

He said his union had already informed the South African Rugby Union (SARU).

“We left massive debts last year and looking at the long term, our view is that it is not sustainable.

“For us to spend such colossal sums of money to go play in the Vodacom this year, is out of the question,” Omondi said.

Plans were underway to have the KRU host some of the matches on home soil and meet accommodation costs but that idea was shelved.

Omondi said KRU would not afford the costs that go with the Vodacom tournament to be played across South Africa’s six provinces of Gauteng, Eastern Cape, Western Cape, KwaZulu Natal, Mpumalanga and Limpopo respectively.

Instead, Kenya, who spent Sh55m in the Vodacom Cup the previous year, would now pay attention to the forthcoming international games against Germany, Portugal, Romania and Hong Kong during the course of the year.

Omondi hinted that Kenya might return to the Vodacom Cup during the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

– CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=3930

Posted by on Feb 3 2015. Filed under Featured, Rugby, Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.