AU, SA urged to rein in on Boko Haram

DA

Democratic Alliance

by TINTSWALO BALOYI
JOHANNESBURG – SOUTH Africa’s official has condemned the cold-blooded slaughter of civilians, reportedly up to 2 000, in the Baga local municipality of Nigeria by the Boko Haram terrorists.

Democratic Alliance Shadow Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Sandy Kaylan, said the party’s hearts went out to the Nigerian people suffering under the enormous burden of this tragedy.

“As the world witnesses increasing extremist activity, millions of people risk having life and liberty threatened. The violence and brutal deaths we see in the world today diminish us all and can never be the justified in the name of religion,” said Kaylan of the attacks blamed on the militant Islamic group.

In April 2014 the same group was responsible for the capture and kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls in the Chibok region. Last month, Boko Haram kidnapped hundreds more in the Gumburi region.

Kaylan called on the South African government and the African Union to curb the threats of terror.

“The South African Government and the African Union need to demonstrate leadership in halting the rise of extremism on the continent, as seen in the escalation of Boko Haram’s attacks.”

– CAJ News

Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=3290

Posted by on Jan 12 2015. Filed under Africa & World, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.