Chibok girls kidnap overshadow festivities

Chiboko girls rescue campaign

Chiboko girls rescue campaign

from OKORO CHINEDU in Lagos, Nigeria
LAGOS, (CAJ News) – THE #BringBackOurGirls (BBOG) group expressed sadness at the continued failure to rescue the more than 200 schoolgirls the Boko Haram sect abducted in Borno State earlier this year.

The vicious sect kidnapped the girls in Chibok in April.

As the year drew to an end, officials bemoaned the fact the minors would not be celebrating the New Year with their families.

A BBOG leader, Oby Ezekwesili, during an event, expressed doubts efforts by government will yield results.

The official nonetheless said the group would enhance initiatives to help rescue the children.

Ezekwesili recently said the group was planning a special session ahead of the New Year.

In October, hopes were raised that the girls might soon be released after the Nigerian army announced a truce between Boko Haram and government forces.

The announcement coincided with the six-month anniversary of the girls’ capture and followed a month of negotiations mediated in Saudi Arabia by Chadian President, Idriss Deby.

The announcement was, however, met with doubts because it wasn’t the first time the Nigerian government had claimed a breakthrough in negotiations with the Islamic militant group – it had to backtrack on a previous announcement in September after saying the girls had been released and were being held in military barracks.

– CAJ News

Short URL:

Posted by on Jan 2 2015. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, National, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.