MTN SA sorry for network disruptions
by MTHULISI SIBANDA
JOHANNESBURG – SOUTH Africa’s second largest mobile network operator, MTN South Africa apologies to customers affected by service disruptions in the last two weeks.
The mobile operator pointed out there were a number of customers who migrated from Nashua Mobile who also experienced connectivity problems on November 25.
These customers were inadvertently disconnected, however services were restored on the same day.
“MTN apologizes to its customers for any inconvenience caused during this time,” said Eben Albertyn – Chief Technology Officer at MTN SA.
As MTN adapts to meet the increasing quality and capacity demands on the network, significantly re-engineer its network in certain parts of the country to ensure that it is of an acceptable standard and is capable of satisfying their needs of the customers, the official said.
“The adjustments were many and they included reviewing how we can optimally utilise the existing spectrum, which entailed re-configuring the current allocation of our spectrum. This exercise is aimed at providing customers with improved coverage and quality of experience.”
Albertyn said load shedding in recent weeks exacerbated our disruptions.
It must be noted that in the event of a power failure, MTN base station are powered by batteries or generators. The majority of the network sites use batteries for backup.
These batteries have a limited backup time, and recharging them takes time, the official explained, adding that several hundred sites had been vandalised and batteries have been stolen in recent months.
“We are working tirelessly to ensure there is minimal impact on services and are planning for a speedy completion.
“We are aware that the demand will spike over the festive season and we remain confident that these interventions will bolster our capacity to meet expected traffic,” concluded Albertyn.
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=2798