Disaster threatens Tokwe Mukosi flood victims

Nuanetsi Ranch

Nuanetsi Ranch

from REGERAI PEPUKAI in Masvingo, Zimbabwe
MASVINGO – A HUMANITARIAN crisis is looming in the Nuanetsi Ranch in southern Zimbabwe where thousands of displaced Tokwe Mukosi flood victims forcibly resettled by government live under inhumane conditions.

Most of the families are living in the open with no descent shelter, a setback aid agencies said exposed the victims to diseases like cholera and diarrhea.

According to a report by aid agencies that were helping the victims since their displacement in February this year, the families urgently need permanent homes to avert a catastrophe as the rainy season approaches.

“We not with concern the conditions in which the flood victims are currently staying,” read part of the report.

“There is more that needs to be done since the families are living in pole and dagga huts with some still living like wild animals in the open.

“We are calling upon the government to either urgently compensate the victims so that they build new homes or assist them in providing decent shelter,” added the report.

Aid agencies have also advised the government to ensure school children also displaced by the floods are given an opportunity to continue with their education.

“We noted with concern that nearly all the children displaced by the floods have dropped out of school with nothing insight for them to further their education,” said the report.

Some of the aid agencies that had been assisting the flood victims include the United Nations World Food Programme WFP, Care International, Action firm, Batanai HIV and Aids Support organisation (BHASO) and the Zimbabwe Red Cross Society among others.

The villagers this past week claimed that they were advised by the government not to bring in their cattle and even construct permanent homes after being forcibly displaced from Chingwizi transit camp.

The villagers suspect that the government would again want to relocate them from where they were allocated plots adding misery and suffering to children and the elderly.

“We were surprised when the government through their officials told us not to bring our cattle and even construct permanent structures.

“We strongly suspect that the government still wants to relocate us again to another piece of land,” said a villager.

However Masvingo Provincial Administrator, Felix Chikovo, denied the allegations.

“We have relocated these people and we are not going to disturb their lives anymore.

“We expect that by now those with resources should have erected permanent homes. We are just waiting for money from central government so that all the villagers are compensated,” said Chikovo.

Recently, the government availed US$ 2 million to compensate some of the flood victims.

Meanwhile, the National Aids Council (NAC) has announced it had finished constructing a clinic in the Nuanetsi Ranch. The facility will open next month.

Evos Makoni, NAC Provincial Cordinator said that the clinic serve thousands of displaced people.

– CAJ News






Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=2445

Posted by on Nov 10 2014. Filed under Africa & World, Exclusive, Featured, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.