SA paralyzing strike averted
by SAVIOUS KWINIKA
JOHANNESBURG – SOUTH Africa’s employer associations averted the looming industrial action by more than 80,000 workers in the clothing and textile sector, a senior official told CAJ News.
Southern African Clothing & Textile Workers’ Union (SACTWU) general secretary, Andre Kriel, said the wage dispute between workers and employers had been resolved following agreement on the offers.
He however could not reveal the new offer agreed upon betwee the two parties although in the beginning of wage negotiations workers demanded a 9% salary hike while employers only prepared to offer 7%.
Kriel said the union had submitted its wage demands on March 20.
“This year’s clothing industry wage dispute has now finally been resolved, averting a possible national strike of 80 000 clothing workers.
“The wage agreement is expected to be signed tomorrow (Monday, 15th September) before 1.00pm,” said Kriel.
He said SACTWO would brief the media about the content of the wage agreement at the Clothing Industry Bargaining Council on Monday at 1300.
Over the past few months, South Africa has been rocked by costy industrial action, with the most remembered one at platinum that lasted five months.
The strike organised by the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) cost companies R23.9 billion in revenue while employees lost a whopping R10.6 billion in wages
– CAJ News
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=1575