MSF slams world leaders’ handling of Ebola




from OKORO CHINEDU in Lagos, Nigeria
LAGOS – AMNESTY International, which criticised world leaders’
handling of the Ebola outbreak, called on the international community to
dispatch assets and personnel to West Africa in order to thwart its

In a speech delivered on Tuesday to United Nations member states,
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) International President, Dr Joanne Liu, denounced the lack of deployment of resources, leaving affected countries to rely on overstretched ministries of health and private nongovernmental organisations to tackle the exceptionally large outbreak.

Despite repeated calls by MSF, the international medical humanitarian
organization, for a massive mobilisation on the ground, the international
response has been lethally inadequate.

MSF medical teams have been battling the outbreak in West Africa since March.

Nongovernmental groups and the UN cannot alone implement the WHO Global Roadmap to fight the ever growing and unpredictable outbreak while transmission rates have reached levels never before reported in past Ebola outbreaks, officials said.

“Six months into the worst Ebola epidemic in history, the world is losing
the battle to contain it,” said Liu.

“Leaders are failing to come to grips with this transnational threat. The
WHO announcement on August 8 that epidemic constituted a ‘public health
emergency of international concern’ has not led to decisive action, and
states have essentially joined a global coalition of inaction,” she said.

The further spread of the virus will not be prevented without a massive
deployment of such specialised medical units to bolster epidemic control
efforts in affected countries, said Liu.

“Funding announcements and the deployment of a few experts do not suffice.

States with the required capacity have a political and humanitarian
responsibility to come forward and offer a desperately needed, concrete
response to the disaster unfolding in front of the world’s eyes.

“Rather than limit their response to the potential arrival of an infected patient in their countries, they should take the unique opportunity to actually save lives where immediately needed, in West Africa,” added Liu.

MSF began its Ebola intervention in West Africa in March 2014 and is now
operating in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone.

The organisation runs five Ebola case management centres with a total
capacity of 480 beds.

Since March, MSF has admitted 2 077 people, of whom 1038 tested positive for Ebola and 241 have recovered.

MSF has deployed 156 international staff to the region and employs 1 700
nationally hired personnel.

It was reported five deaths had been recorded in Nigeria.

– CAJ News







Short URL:

Posted by on Sep 2 2014. Filed under Africa & World, Featured, News, Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

CAJ News Sponsored Links

Commonwealth Technology Organisation

Connect to CAJ News on Facebook

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Photo Gallery

Log in
All material © CAJ News Africa. Material may not be published or reproduced in any form without prior written permission.